Who are we?
Southern Cross Austereo is Australia’s leading media entertainment company, home of LiSTNR and the Triple M & HIT network. With the ability to reach 95% of the population through our Radio, TV and Digital channels, our mission is to Entertain, Inform & Inspire all Australians Anytime. Anywhere!
In 2021 we launched LiSTNR, a curated and personalised Audio-On-Demand destination. It is home to the Hit & Triple M networks, 25 music stations and over 500 podcasts. LiSTNR is Australia’s #1 podcast network reaching more than 8 million monthly listeners..
What’s on offer for you?
- Permanent position based out of our vibrant Brisbane, Gold Coast or Townsville offices.
- Training and development opportunities, health and wellbeing initiatives, birthday leave, volunteer leave, concert tickets, footy tickets, social events – PLUS much more!
- Industry leading and gender neutral Paid Parental Leave Policy which offers 20 weeks paid parental leave for a primary carer.
- Award-winning, highly supportive and creative culture that enables you to be your best unique self!
- Flexible & hybrid working environment (we offer a range of flexible working options to help our people balance work and home life).
- Opportunities for growth & progression – we love to promote internally across our 65 offices!
About the role:
We’re on the hunt for a Grade 4 newsreader/ journalist to join our Queensland news team based in our Brisbane, Gold Coast or Townsville offices. Reporting to the Queensland News Editor, the successful candidate will rotate reading for the Darling Downs, Wide Bay, South Burnett and Maranoa regions, and news gather for all of Queensland on alternate weeks. The chosen journalist will also be expected to pitch and produce news videos for social media at times, assist in radio emergency broadcasting when required, source and produce high quality news content for SCA’s platforms including original ideas.
- Write, edit, and deliver news on SCA’s On Air and Digital platforms which appeals to the target audience.
- Chase unique stories, follow up leads, maintain contacts and perform on road reporting when required for any/ all markets in Queensland.
- Prepare and read news bulletins for any Queensland region, as required, and assist National team as required.
- Ensure diligent fact-checking is complete and all editorial meets relevant risk assessment guidelines and on-air codes before being broadcast or published.
- Have a thorough understanding of News technology including Newsboss & produce high quality news content for digital audio and social channels and associated websites using SCA’s Content Management Systems.
- Contributing to news gathering at various times of day, including across a roster that may include public holidays.
Experience we’re looking for:
- A degree qualification in Journalism, Communications or Media is required.
- At least three years proven journalism experience, including sourcing of original stories.
- An ability to convey news information by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Experience in delivering news on air, or creating audio for an on demand/podcast environment is highly desirable.
- Has experience in writing news for radio and online/ social media platforms.
- A working knowledge of chasing story contacts, best practice interview techniques, & audio editing.
- An ability to produce, write, edit audio and visual content for digital channels.
We are a values driven organisation - if you genuinely live and breathe our values, you’ll be a great addition to SCA.
- We’re Better Together
- People are our Power
- Always Curious
- We Push Doors Open
- Be Genuine
Still not convinced?
Head to our TikTok: Life@LiSTNR, for a sneak peak into some of the fun we have at SCA!
Follow LiSTNR Newsroom on Instagram and Tik Tok for an idea of what our journalists do day to day!
Keen? Apply now by submitting your resume via our careers page.
Hot tip: Make sure you download and sign up to LiSTNR – you may be asked about your listening experience throughout the interview process!